Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Those Famous Lesser-Known Editing Symbols You All Love - The Untold Story

On Monday morning, June 11, 2012, I posted a graphic I had schmooshed together in that old standby - Paint - and posted  it on my Facebook Page under the header of:
New additions to accepted copy editing/proofreading symbols. In case I ever have the privilege of working on one of your books . . .


Since then, it has been shared 6,139 times! That is only the number of legitimate shares, and not the shares from readers who saved the image and posted it without attribution - shame on you!

I am absolutely floored by this! However, I just wanted to make sure that the original authors of these updated copy editing and proofreading symbols were once again lauded and thanked, as I did in my original posting.

Thank you to Brian Klems, whose original post was read by me on Writer's Digest page in August of 2011. Since that date, his symbols have been hanging over my desk.

And thank you to Eve Corbel, whose graphic I found on Monday morning at Angela Cothran's Blog.

I am thrilled to have shared this schmooshy graphic with you, and really happy I can let the whole world know, or at least a few thousand writers and editors, who the original authors are.

3 comments:

  1. Is schmooshed really a word? I need my scrabble dictionary.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, of course it's a word! Okay, it's not in Merriam-Webster's but then neither are most words we graduates of Kings High School use!Thanks for reading my blog, Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very good point. Perhaps communicating is more about getting your point across and I would say that you were effective in doing that. It got my attention was a bit humorous and made your point nicely.

    ReplyDelete